View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #31
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
In earlier posts I have mentioned problems that my Kobo Touch reader is having with an ebook that works perfectly on my Sony T2. The html and CSS in this file validate to W3C standards, and the ePub validates with ePubCheck and FlightCrew.

I have tested all the fonts on the Kobo to see whether they show italics and whether the links work. The test file has some footnotes; link numbers in the text take one to a collection of footnotes in a different file, and this collection has a link back to the original text.

The results are below:

Kobo Touch Font Tests - Font size set to 10

Document Default
This is set to sans-serif in the CSS of the test ebook, but shows as a serif font.
Links: Work
Endnote links: Work going. From Endnotes return to page before the footnote source.
Italics: Work

Amasis
Endnote links: Work going. From Endnotes return to page before the footnote source.

Avenir
Links: Go to two pages before target
Italics: Show as bolded text, not italic

Caecilia

Georgia
Links: Go to one page before target
Endnote links: Go to one page before target, return to two pages before target

Gil Sans
Endnote links: Work going, return one page before target
Italics: show as bolded text, not italic

Kobo Nickel
Endnote links: Work going, return several pages before target
Italics: show as bolded text, not italic

Malabar

Gothic MB101
This is a sans font, and is noticeably bigger than the other fonts
Italics: Work, but font size noticeably smaller than normal font

Ryumin
Links: Go to target
Italics: Work, but font weight is heavier than normal font

OpenDyslexic

Some of the italic/not italic problems are no doubt the fault of the way the that type face is designed, or implemented in the Kobo, but I am sure that the link and footnote problems are the fault of the Kobo designers. Let me repeat and emphasise that the links work perfectly well when the same ebook is read on my Sony.

It will be interesting to see how Kobo customer service responds. That's my next stop.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote