View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Hey Marty.

I love Scrivener. But, it has its flaws. Mostly, it doesn't play well with Pages. I've had all sorts of formatting issues when using Pages as a tool to export into. Since you are writing a nonfiction book, the question becomes what kind of formatting are you looking for? Do you have end notes and stuff that need to be kept in the format? I've never really had to experiment with them.

Since Scrivener basically turns your document into a giant zip file with RTF text, you need to take some extra care with some exports.

I write primarily using the "Novel Standard Manuscript Format" template. I try to keep everything organized in separate folders, as you can see from the attached images.

When I finish my work I go to File - Compile Manuscript

If you have a bunch of footnotes/endnotes, you're going to have to play with the settings there until you get something you like. I tend to leave all the settings at default and export it to Microsoft Word.

And here's where things get complicated.

I have Parallells with a copy of W7 and OfficeXP (The last good M$ product)

I also have the short lived "Read on Microsoft Reader" macro. This converts your word document into a Microsoft LIT file. Since Scrivener talks to Microsoft Word better than it talks to Pages and Open Office, my formatting is pretty much kept intact.

I then save the LIT file with whatever metadata and cover that I want. My next step is to load up Calibre and convert my LIT file to ePub / LRF / Mobi / whatever else you want to use.

I don't know how many people read Beyond the Black when I posted it up, but I asked for people to point out whatever formatting issues they could find. I didn't get any complaints.

I've also pretty much have every current digital device and checked my documents out in them. I haven't had any issues. There may be others on here with easier methods, but this is mine.

Good luck!!

*Edit!* I uploaded the images in the wrong order.

Image 3 is the basic Scrivener writing screen when I work on my stuff.
Image 1 is after I go to the File - Compile Manuscript menu option.
Image 4 is after exporting the Scrivener file to a Word Document
Image 2 is the only metadata editing I need to do in RMR.

As you can see from the word screen, that's pretty much what I export it as. Courier 12pt, double space 1" margins all around. It's designed to be printed out and read on your basic letter paper. .. .. but, it seemed to work just as well in digital.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compile.png
Views:	289
Size:	539.4 KB
ID:	54654   Click image for larger version

Name:	RMR.png
Views:	287
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	54655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scriv1.png
Views:	284
Size:	346.9 KB
ID:	54656   Click image for larger version

Name:	WordXP.png
Views:	282
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	54657  

Last edited by jaxx6166; 07-05-2010 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Images out of order.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote