View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #30
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I disagree. Readers & most reading apps use the bottom margin for something else such as showing the page number. The reason for the margins s to keep the text away from the edges. The bottom margin is already taken care of. By adding a bottom margin, you are just wasting screen space. You could have that one more line without.
That would be very device- and settings-dependent. In my device, with my settings, there's nothing at the bottom, the whole screen is available for the text. Besides, if I activate the footer, a line/rule is drawn and, without a margin, the text could clash with the line (or not, that depends on how this is actually implemented); other devices display the "status bar" with black background, which would be pretty much the same. In any case, your same argument could be use for the top margin, as I could also enable a header in my device (showing the book title and author).

This shows why it is a good idea to keep style simple and compact. Simple styles are easy to understand and modify, if a user thinks the bottom margin is too large.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote