View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #37
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
ELFWRECK! There's one that I didn't know was a woman!
My Dreamwidth blog is linked in my sig. Nobody at DW thinks I'm male.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
You confirm my suspicions that sci-fi liking women exist. For my part, I know a girl who routinely reads fantasy but will go "ewwww !" as soon as you label something as science fiction. It doesn't matter how light - Philip Dick and Robert Sheckley barely mention any technical details, but she will have none of that ;-).
It's not about technical details; it's about the focus of the story. I like both Dick and Sheckley, but they both write stories steeped in the assumption that there's no reason to describe what's going on with the women except as it relates to the men. Women who want to imagine themselves involved in the story tend to skip those if they don't already understand the setting.

Try suggesting:
  • McCaffrey's Dragonrider books;
  • Bradley's Darkover series, esp. the Renunciates trilogy. (Shattered Chain, Thendara House, City of Sorcery)
  • Sheri S. Tepper's books; Gibbon's Decline and Fall if she likes modern "non-genre" literature, or Beauty if she's into history or folklore;
  • Connie Willis' Doomsday Book if she's involved in academia or medicine;
  • Spider & Jeanne Robinson's Starchild Trilogy if she's involved in dance (but not otherwise, if she's SF-averse);
  • Elgin's Native Tongue trilogy if she's interested in languages or politics;
  • Lichtenberg's Sime~Gen series if she enjoys vampire stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
You mean, like, about vacuuming and stuff?
What? Pffft. No. We only talk about vacuuming when we think men can hear us. We talk about shoes when we're alone.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote