View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #48
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Perhaps sellers or even authors themselves may start identifying whether they have used editors etc to assist with their work.[/url]
This is already starting to happen on Amazon. I've come across several books with the editor credited right next to the author. The capability is there because of editors of anthologies and such, but self-pub authors are using it to credit the editors who worked on their book.

Of course, it means next to nothing until one gets an idea of whether or not the editor is competent. I worry that the "editor" credit will start going the way of the film producer credit - you won't know what that person actually did, only that they were promised credit for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
When ebooks are made available in all the Kindle stores, it would sometimes be a good idea to have specific editions for different countries. If I get a book from a US indie then I'm fine with reading "color" instead of "colour" but some things really don't cross the pond well... Like a description during the siege of Leningrad where a soldier was wearing "patched pants and suspenders"
While I believe that an indie should pay for the best editor they can afford, I'm not in agreement with saddling them with the expectations of translation costs as well. As long as the edition is clearly marked or otherwise obviously US-centric, I think that is sufficient.

If I get a book from a UK or Australian indie, I *expect* a certain amount of localized terms and references - it's part of the reason I enjoy reading them.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote