View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #32
jmaejr
Banned
jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350:Sony PRS-T1:Rooted Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
That is not what is proposed.
What is on the table is more like "don't buy candy in march" (but you can gorge in april).

It's overly broad, for one thing.
(Sugarless candy is fine; any form of candy in moderation is fine.)
Plus, in the current economy the message is going to be muted anyway.
(Marginally slower sales? Well, with current gas prices a lot of people have less disposable income.)
And, as pointed out: March is Read an E-Book Month and has been for years.

Context matters.
What happens outside the message board world matters.
This particular boycott, at this particular time, probably won't matter much.
(shrug)
The whole idea of the message was to not buy anything in March as it is the last quarter of the fiscal year for those companies. If the same people that took a stand against SOPA/PIPA actually did not buy any media related goods in the month of March and the sales for the last quarter of the year showed a big ZERO, I suspect SOMEONE would take notice and wonder what was going on, regardless of gas prices or any other economic activities.

I really don't think gas prices and less disposable income is going to have any effect on The Hunger Games when it opens on the 23rd. I suspect we will see some records broken for most sales or some such nonsense...

People get all warm and fuzzy when it comes to signing online petitions, however, when it actually comes to voicing their opinion and there may be some discomfort involved i.e. giving up something, very few people will follow through, then it just becomes lip service.
jmaejr is offline   Reply With Quote