View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #52
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
I bought an HD+ but it has not arrived yet so I don't know if it is different from the stock firmware on my HD. But stock on the HD has the software back button which shows up when you are in an app, a recent drawer, and easy access to ALL system settings via the drop down notification center. The recent drawer lets you switch easily between all recent apps. Are you saying the HD+ stock firmware lacks all of that? I will be really disappointed if that is the case.
Well, right now I have my HD+ open, running Nook stock (haven't done anything to it at all to customize) and my HD with android.

On my android screen for settings I have tabs for
Wireless & Networks
Interface, including launcher, lockscreen, themes, and system, all of which have numerous options within them
Device, with buttons for sound, display, storage, apps and battery, again each has multiple things within each button
Personal - Profiles (Night, home, silent, work), Location access, security, language & input, backup & reset
Accounts -
System - date/time, accessibility,developer options, performance (can change clock speed, customize memory usage, etc), about tablet

On the HD+ native
I have
Wireless & bluetooth
General (screen, battery save mode, language, keyboard, etc)
apps -
accounts
backup settings
storage management which only tells me how much total is used, not by what and not really "managing" it (also, can't tell apps to move to sd or vice versa, whereas I can do that on android)
location services
device information

IOW, a lot of these settings are not really changeable items, just telling you what's what, compared to android. Now, maybe most people are fine with that and that is great. I just like a little more flexibility.

As for the recent drawer, when I tap that, all I get is the whole list of apps on my tablet, not only things I've just opened. With Android I can open 3-4 things and switch back and forth between them without closing out or backing out of the one I'm in. I am not sure what happens in the Nook mode - if you open, say Netflix and then use the drawer to access something else, is Netflix still running in the background or does it close? can't say I"ve tried it but I've just gotten used to the android way.

As for the kitschy icons I'm referring to the default green parrot and green apple that showed up on mine. I know they can be changed; I did it on my HD before I got the android card, but why do they even use such cheesy things to begin with unless they are aiming at kids? Or why not include some nice themes that are easily changeable? I've read on the regular B&N forums sometimes and find a lot of people have no idea how to customize their wallpaper or icons. And Nook doesn't make it easy to find IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great product on its own and improved greatly with Google play but I still want a bit more. I also like using Amazon's android app market, which you can't on the stock Nook AFAIK.

I have no idea how to get rid of the carousel; that would have been a big plus to me originally. I can't stand it on any of the readers. I prefer shelves or collections by tags (I began with a Sony e-reader which allowed collections from my Calibre tags and love that) I haven't used the native Nook reader much b/c I buy very little from B&N (buy very little anyway but more from Kobo or Amazon usually) and use Aldiko for epubs, or Overdrive for library books.

If I had not tried and gotten used to regular android on my HD already, I'd probably be fine with just using a better launcher and customizing the Nook more to my liking. It's just what I'm used to now.

And I highly agree with you on iOS - can't stand trying to adjust any settings on my kids' iPods - it is so tightly controlled.
Karen
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote