View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 11:10 AM   #3
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaetrin View Post
Hello, I have the latest version of Adobe DE and a Sony PRS700. In order for Adobe DE to recognise the Sony, I needed to install the Sony software.

Now DE recognises the reader but it keeps crashing.

I have bought ebooks from Books on Board and they are in secure DRM format - I can't open them or send them to the reader unless DE is working.

I get nearly the whole book downloaded and then DE crashes - the only message I get is "Adobe Digital Editions has stopped working".

I don't know what to do - I'm not even sure if there is any connection to the Sony software being loaded and DE crashing or if it was a coincidence.

Can anyone suggest a fix?

(FYI, We run Windows Vista 64 bit).

thank you
Kaetrin
Hi, Kaetrin -

I only have a couple of questions that may help you troubleshoot your problem...

NOTE: I don't have a 64-bit system or a Sony reader (anymore - but I still have the software loaded on my Windows XP machine), but I do use ADE regularly.

1. Do you have both software programs open? If so, I'd recommend you close the Sony software. I never used it when I had my e-reader - just used ADE and Calibre. Having the two open may be confusing the download function.

2. Do you have your reader connected when you download? I'd recommend not as ADE is a bit finicky. Sometimes, it's too busy "talking" to the ereader to be very responsive. I've found it's best to have ADE do one thing at a time...

3. Do you have ADE open when you download ebooks? I've found the best way to manage ADE is to first open it. Then, I go off and buy books or download from the library. Sometimes, having the download action open the ADE software puts what I think of as "too much stress" on ADE. Try having it open first, then buy/download.

3a. On a side note, ADE works best (with the four different ereaders I've tried) if you (1) plug in the reader, (2) open ADE and (3) let ADE run for a while (as it indexes all the files on your reader). If you don't let it index, it will freeze on you (or, at least, it does on me).

4. At worst, you may need to uninstall ADE and re-load it. That may help.

Other than that - I've got nothing. ADE is a finicky program and I wish that Adobe had better support for it (or even upgraded it). I guess that's what we get for using a "free" program, eh? The old "get what you paid for" beastie raises its head...

Good luck and sorry I couldn't be more help.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote