View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #1102
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailyalice View Post
So . . . where's the best place to put cover image exclusions in one's personal.ini? In the section for specific archives? (Would make sense for dramione, as discussed before.) For all epubs? In defaults?
The precedence order for sections (using epub from dramione.org as an example) is:
  1. defaults
  2. dramione.org
  3. epub
  4. dramione.org:epub
  5. overrides

So if you put cover_exclusion_regexp in [defaults], the value from [dramione.org] (in the system ini) will override it. If you put it under [dramione.org] in personal.ini, that will override the system ini, but only for that site.

To use one cover_exclusion_regexp setting for all sites, put it under [overrides].

Quote:
I think Livejournal userhead & community icons may be found in multiple archives, though I've discovered them most frequently at AO3.
The problem, of course, is that the more general the exclusion, the more likely you are to block things you don't mean to. I can help you craft regexp to meet your stated desires, but I can't make promises about false positives.

Since AO3 actually has an explicit cover feature, perhaps we should put make_firstimage_cover: false under [archiveofourown.org]...

Quote:
(Maybe simplest to just exclude any images with "user" or "community" in the filename?)
Though maybe just not allowing any images with "userhead" in the path would do the trick?
Here's a Dreamwidth userhead:
http://www.dreamwidth.org/img/silk/identity/user.png
This regexp meets the criteria above:
Code:
cover_exclusion_regexp:(/[^/]+(user|community)[^/]+$|userhead|/img/silk/identity/user.png)
Quote:
And once I figure out the best way to handle this in my personal.ini, what's the best way to fix the stories in my Library that have userheads as their cover art? Update the story for just metadata with metadata & cover checked? Or will I want to overwrite the whole things? Remove existing cover images first? I guess I can try it a number of ways, but figure those who dig around with this stuff on the programming side might know. (I have about 100 stories with userhead covers, I guess.)
Here's the thing: On update, FFDL will never *remove* an existing cover just because it didn't find one on the site. It used to do that, and that upset the people who make their own custom covers because it would zap them.

Removing the undesired covers: use the Modify Epub PI to remove the covers from the epubs. Then use calibre's Edit Metadata ('e' key) on the whole group at once and Remove Covers (or Set from Ebooks) to get them out of calibre, too.

Then you can use Update Always (with update cover) in FFDL if you think there might be other images that could be picked up for cover. After you've added the cover_exclusion_regexp, of course. I'd tested a couple first, before doing the lot.