View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #13
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Yay, individual challenges and personal reading goals are official! I love it when my suggestions get adopted.

Anyway, no actual reading goals for me, since I'm already well past 200 for 2011 and I pick and choose based on what looks interesting that I'm in the mood for (or have due Real Soon at the library, which is actually the deciding factor in most cases).

But my individual challenge for 2012 will to be to contribute at least 13 (one for each province and territory) brand-new never-before-appeared hand-formatted e-books to our Patricia Clark Memorial Library, which will consist of a minimum 30% Canadian Content (as per CRTC regulations*), since we seem to have surprisingly few of the eligible Life+50 works uploaded, despite having a Canadian-based server primarily so MR could host Life+50 uploads.

But that may be simply because most of the uploaders seem to be non-Canadian and are therefore more inclined to hit up the main Gutenberg for the well-known older classics which are public domain everywhere, or the weirdo US-non-renewed copyright newer stuff.

In any case, hopefully on a schedule of once per month, you'll be able to expect a nifty new ePub‡ chock-full of
  • a) Canadian-authored or
  • b) Canadian setting/subject matter or
  • c) Canadian public domain availability or
  • d) all of the above
This, of course, will require that I read them in order to proofread them to do the best job.

And I realize that this is all probably of little benefit to our non-Canadian members (or at least those living outside Life+50 countries), but frankly the authors are all long since dead and I'm sure they wouldn't mind you reading their works if you should happen to come across them in some way, rather than falling into total international obscurity.

* This is funnier if you're Canadian. Which you may not be. But possibly you'll get the joke anyway†.

† Half an hour later in Newfoundland.

‡ Other formats may or may not be produced, depending on how annoying KindleGen's quirks get for the basic "improved over the plain text" formatting I'd like to apply.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote