View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 08:40 AM   #7
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G View Post
Nice summary.
Also, can you confirm how the [bi- | quasi-]stable term relates to the lay person.
As new technologies are discussed, I see these terms used to describe the technology.
If I understand correctly, when something is described with terms like bistable or quasi-stable, the lay person can interpret that to mean it's not drawing (much) power once the screen has been painted. And, thus leads to multi-day battery life. Is that right?
If that is right, then for me that means I don't care about any technology unless it is described with some relatively accurate (i.e. not marketspeak) "stable"-related term.

Mitch
Yes with EPDs and IMOD, a "fixed" image will not draw power and will remain on the screen. When they are pushed to video rate refresh of course, they will have to constantly redraw segments of the screen, which obviously does require power.

Liquavista's so-called "quasi-stable" terminology is slightly more a marketing-term and obviously suggests it is not fully bi-stable, but that its power draw is extremely low at a reduced frame rate. With selective pixel addressing/selective redraw, you can combine several-second refresh rates of something like fixed text with high-rate sections, such as video.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote