View Single Post
Old 12-24-2008, 06:57 AM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You must have worked their quite a while ago. Didn't Steinbeck die in 1968? Was Oprah on back then?

BOb
I worked at a bookstore, too, for almost 20 years.

Many customers are often notoriously inaccurate, lazy, and dead-wrong.

Here are some true examples (except for my written responses):

CUS: Do you have that book that was on [Cavitt, Oprah, Donahue] last night/yesterday/this morning?

ME: Sorry [lady, sir], I had to work while you sat home on your [put in the appropriate body part] and watched TV.

CUS: Do you have that new book that just came out? I can't remember the title or author, but it had a green dust-jacket.

ME: Why you stupid silly old [choose the best word that helps relieve your tension].

Actual bookstore comments by me to other bookstore employees. WARNING! One comment is not politically correct.

"I wish we could hire a midget to work the lower shelves. Just the lower shelves. It would easier for those of us who have bad backs."

"It's amazing how much work we can do when there are no customers."

"I'm thinking of arranging the books by the color of the Dust jacket."

"Why should we keep the books in categories, when the customers don't even return the books to their proper places?"

CUS: Why isn't this discount 20% off? 10 plus 10 is 20.

ME: No sir. You get 10% off for becoming a member. Ten percent is immediately applied to the price of the book for becoming a new member. Then another 10% is taken off that newer, lower price. It adds up to 19% discount.

CUS: So you're really lying, aren't you?

"Why are your books so high?"

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote