View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
As an iPad and iPhone owner, I would question whether Apple has even 5% of the paid e-book market. When iBooks came out, I downloaded the free Alice in Wonderland (on my phone and iPad), and when iBooks 2 came out, I downloaded the free textbook. But I haven't actually bought any books from Apple, and I suspect a lot of people haven't.
Having devices that aren't dedicated e-readers definitely confuses the issue. Kobo is considered the market leader in Canada because it has more dedicated e-readers sold than Amazon or Sony, but how does the picture change when you consider people using the Kindle or Kobo apps on other devices, or buying books via iBooks and/or Google Books? There's no perfect way of knowing, but we can get a pretty good idea from looking at sales of e-readers and/or e-books.

It looks like Amazon rules the U.S., Kobo is in the lead in Canada, and I'm guessing Sony is #1 in Japan (though Rakuten is likely looking to change that). Interesting how in every country where there's a "home team" advantage that the locally-based company is in the lead.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote