View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
It is because lots of people don't understand that eInk is easier on the eyes. All they see is side-by-side features:
  • Color vs. B&W
  • Can read in the dark w/o an additional light
  • Cheaper, for the feature set

I think a lot of us read all day on LCDs or CRTs, which are essentially light sources. This creates a lot of eye strain over a period of hours and hours. It's like looking at a dim light bulb for hours at a time.

Don't worry, they'll wise up some day.
I have had 5 eink readers (3 of which are still in working order) and yet I currently am using the color LCD Augen TB, and more often the LCD color Pandigital Novel. So "not understanding the difference" is not the issue.

I experience no eyestrain with back-lit LCD devices (I started reading ebooks on a Palm device, and then the LCD Bookwise 1150) I have found I just prefer having a back-lit screen. The Sony 700 was a nice compromise with it's side lit eink screen, but the battery performance has degraded since I purchased it.

As others have said, the issue of eyestrain with LCD screens is a very subjective matter, not a universal need to "wise up".
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote