View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Exact widths are not a good solution. How do you know what size device the user is using to read the book?

Dale
When you set an exact width on an image file, that doesn't mean that the image won't zoom when someone zooms with the device. Indeed, they usually do. It really just sets up the size of the images at "normal settings". Actually, the XML tags inside the SVG itself will have as one of its attributes a nominal exactly height and width. Because it's an SVG, it can be scaled to different sizes, and someone can be encouraged to do this, but it still has a nominal size.

But the issue is really one with SVGs in particular. Support for SVGs is very inconsistent and immature on various reading platforms. For example, Webkit based browsers like Chrome and Safari have a problem with SVGs that don't have an exact height and width specified: it usually makes them take up the wrong among of space, or even puts them inside a little frame with scrollbars on the size even when the image would have fit just fine in context without these. It's just someone I've seen from experience as an issue, so I've always felt it necessary to set the exact size.

But for the moment, I'm mainly advocating it as a first step in diagnosing the problem. If it turned out not to help with ninni's issue, I'd switch back in a heartbeat. I don't really know that much about Onyx's support of SVG.

Last edited by frabjous; 04-15-2010 at 04:51 PM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote