View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #465
Ansileran
Zealot
Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo Aura HD, Cybook Odyssey HD
I haven't purchased and Aura (yet ^^) but I got to test one today in a store. Here are my impressions (Vs. Kobo Glo and Sony PRS-T2, which I also tested).
  • Format:
    • Screen size: I love the size, this is the main reason why I am looking into it. It's much closer to a pocket book size than the standard 6". Perhaps enough to comfortably read mangas on. It also felt squarer (4:3 ratio?) than other readers but that might be just an impression.
    • Back: it didn't feel that slippery to me. Actually, the light weight was the main reason for almost dropping it when I lifted it from its magnetic stand... The design really isn't that pronounced (I had to check that it indeed had ridges afterward because I didn't notice). It also felt very comfortable whichever way I held it (portrait mode, forgot to check landscape): left hand, right hand and hand at the bottom (I figure this is how I would hold it most of the time, at least it is with my PRS-505). My fingers always end in one of the "grooves". It might not be so for people with bigger hands/ longer fingers...
    • Weight: quite light (compared to the PRS-505) but I could tell the difference with the Glo so I guess it depends what one is used to. No problem holding it in one hand.
    • Screen background unlit: the Sony was in another store so I couldn't compare the two and they didn't have a demo Touch. Both the Glo and the Aura looked as dark as my PRS-505. Not disturbing for me because I'm used to it but I would have expected it to be better somehow...
    • Frontlight: much less disturbing than the Glo, even in a well lit environment. I liked the fact that it remembered the level I set it at.
  • Firmware:
    • Reactivity: I was amazed by how fast it is. Of course, it doesn't compare to my PRS-505 but it seemed the page turn was instant (refresh at every 6 pages). Both the T2 and the Glo seemed slower. Menu reactivity is definitely much better.
    • Library: very easy to browse and shelves management seemed fine to.
    • Home screen: now that was confusing. I'm not used to this kind of screen and found the clutter of images disturbing.
    • Tap zones: I haven't read the manual nor checked the settings on the device. The bottom tap zone was a bit hard to get and sometimes I accidentally turned the page instead...
    • Dictionaries: that was a bit disappointing. Selecting a word, a window popped up (in the right language) but just under my finger and disappeared as soon as I removed it. Once I managed to keep it opened, I checked the translations. The device actually tried to look the French word in an English-French dictionary! No wonder it didn't find anything! Apparently the firmware doesn't check the language of the text before looking for a translation and will search for results in the first dictionary it finds. Ergonomy was better than the PRS-T2 though: there you had to switch to tapping on a very small button at the bottom of the screen to get to the next page. Swiping didn't work.

All in all, I liked it and might still get one, despite the fact that it doesn't support Chinese...
Ansileran is offline   Reply With Quote