Thread: Colours?
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #6
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
Why restrict yourself to a single spelling of a word? The goal is to communicate and so the words used are MUCH more important than the spelling of the words:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

Because part of my prep education occured in Europe, I often revert to alternate spellings and have caught grief for it consistently since returning 30 years ago. It must be that educational "law of primacy" that keeps dragging me back occasionaly to 'colours' even though I've spelled it longer the other way.

Interesting, I had not heard that if the first and last letters were the same it would still be readable. I'll remember that.

As a very imaginative female, and an aspiring writer, I thought it would be inventive if a book was written such that slowly over the course of the book, the words were changed so that be the end of the book, the text was an entirely different language, either a made up language or "foreign" language.

BTW I was just ribbing griffonwing... I read enough "Victorian" romances by English authors to recognize alternate spellings...

AJ

AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote