Thread: Bare Bones
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #9
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I think that what you are against is what is frequently called proprietary which in the IT industry (fancy way of saying computer industry) means when the item you need to buy is available from only one vendor. Often means that the vendor has the ability to set prices at what ever level they want, frequently very high prices. I share your distaste for proprietary computer equipment, which is one of the reasons that I do not buy apple. Let me give some examples of apple proprietary policies: the only place you are allowed to buy apps is at apple's app store and apple keeps tight control over what apps get listed and at what price they get listed. Kindle however is not as proprietary as apple is since:

1) kindle will except books that are translated to kindle format via software such as calibre, means that you can obtain your ebooks anywhere and translate them to kindle's format.

2) Several electronic book stores sell books in mobi format that can be loaded directly to the kindle via the USB cable provided, a process thta is frequently called side loading.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote