View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyoxi View Post
... after inspecting the IRC logs it seems more like my memory is faulty. I could swear that we did already discuss this ...
"Déjà vu" all over again, eh? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Déjà_vu
"the experience of feeling sure that one has already witnessed or experienced a current situation, even though the exact circumstances of the prior encounter are uncertain and were perhaps imagined"

BTW, this is a sign of not enough sleep ... or your connection to "The Matrix" has been hijacked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyoxi View Post
... I would really like to know what made people at Amazon decide to do this.
Although I did not study extended partitions in any detail, this is sort of how they work.

You can only have 4 primary partitions. If you set one or more of them to an extended partition, then you can put multiple logical partitions inside the extended partitions.

I suspect that treating partition 4 as a block device and giving it 4 more primary partitions was an easier hack than adding support for extended partitions and logical partitions inside them, and amazon wanted these things ready in time for the Christmas shopping season.

Why they did this, but then did not USE any extra partitions inside the inner partition table, is the *real* mystery -- perhaps for future expansion.

It looks like you COULD put more partitions on the "inner" block device and they would survive startup (but perhaps not a factory restore). This would let you shrink the vfat partition and add an ext3 partition after it. But WHY would anybody EVER want to do THAT?

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-11-2012 at 10:31 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote