View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 12:34 PM   #14
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
I wouldn't have a problem with the shoddy conversions if they were giving the books away or selling them at bargain prices. But publishers are selling unproofed books at full book prices. If publishers want to charge paperback prices or more for e-books, they need to provide the proofing that is a standard part of publishing process as well.
This. I'm sorry, but when they're charging as much as a paperback DTB, I expect the same standards as you'd see in a DTB. If they aren't willing to invest in making an ebook version good, I'd rather they not release it at all.

There are so many potential ways to solve these issues that it's not even funny -- I'm sure volunteers could be recruited in exchange for free copies of many titles (and maybe a credit in the ebook edition). Or they could use a distributed proofreading model, as Alisa has suggested before, and allow readers to flag problems on the Kindle itself. But neither publishers nor Amazon seem to want to address quality problems in any solution-oriented way.

To the OP and others -- even if you don't have the time to get specific, I'd encourage you to submit the titles to this thread so that other readers are aware of the problem. I'd also suggest adding the tag "formatting problems" to the product page on Amazon.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote