View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Why is it stupid to assume people won't go changing standard settings in hidden config files? Or that if they do they'll know that any incompatibilities are due to their own actions?

In this case it looks like changing the locale has no effect other than the desired one but I can well imagine taking advantage of some known setting for some optimization or other on the basis that you know how it was set as delivered and there's no supported way (i.e. through the menus or desktop app) to change it. Further more if and when you decide to add the ability to change that setting at a user level you'd cater for it throughout the system.

Saying that it's stupid to not cater for every random edit someone might make to a file they're not intended to change is naive at best.
No, the stupid thing for a developer is to not treat a date as date. To use a string or some other possibly datatype that is format dependent. All modern programming languages support date and time manipulation as dates or times. Using this makes it easy to separate the display format from the internal format. Having said that, the dates are all timestamps in the database. They are actually stored as strings. But, they are stored as YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ssZ or YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss.sss. Both are unambiguous formats.

A quick check of the database of my Glo after the sync and some reading, shows the expected timestamp values. I am happy that changing the locale is safe.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote