View Single Post
Old 11-10-2008, 12:27 PM   #9
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Thanks! I'm glad you like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica View Post
2. I would prefer to concentrate the efforts in the boot time/suspend issue solely in improving boot time, as with a very fast booting device suspend becomes a moot point.
Good point, I agree. However, suspend-to-disk (hibernate) is essentially just booting with a custom boot image, right? So it might be that that's a way to easily get a fast boot time...? I guess we'll figure it out when we get there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martijn View Post
I'd like to see a viewer framework in there somewhere so we can easily extend the number of formats, and so any optimizations (like Antartica's suggestion of saving the last displayed page) can be applied easily to all viewer plug-ins.
And if we could use the same API as the viewer framework for the DR1000, all the better
I have mixed feelings about this... on the one hand, I agree that compatibility with the DR1000 is good, and I like the idea of having plug-ins that share a common UI and some common base code. On the other hand, iRex's base viewer code is proprietary (as far as I know) and I'm not sure we want to deal with that.

Also, I think part of the great thing about being Linux-based is that we can include existing FOSS viewers (i.e. FBReader, etc.) pretty much as-is, with only some relatively simple porting work. So I like the idea of having those as drop-ins without needing to revise/rewrite them to work with the viewer framework.

But anyway, I definitely think you're right, we need to make pushes for at least the following: a consistent GUI; adding common features to all viewers (search, bookmarks, scribbling, etc.); and adding support for more file types. If we can somehow be compatible with the DR1000 API, that would be even better! Maybe we can add a 3.1 milestone with some of these goals, including the goal of revising viewers to be compatible with the DR1000 API? At that point we could expand the iLiad OS to be a broader project, providing packages for the DR1000 as well?

I would love to see the iLiad OS become a useful standard e-reader OS that is portable to many e-ink based viewers, providing support for many, many file types... I think that milestone would be version 5.0 or something.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote