View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #38
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss003 View Post
What do you use Calibre for?
Just about everything except for the actual reading.
Many of the uses were described by various posters.

I use it to organize books from various sources, automatically download metadata and covers for books that do not have those, or extract covers or metadata from the ebook file.
I use it to export the books to the reader in a precisely defined directory structure (derived from metadata)
I use it to create a catalog of the books that I have loaded to an SD card for my reader, so I have a super-luxury, cross-referenced description of all the books on my reader.
I use it to search the books. It has lots of very powerful tools to do that.
I use it to remove duplicates to keep my library nice and tidy. There are a lot of freebies that I keep adding and many of those have been added earlier. Calibre makes management of duplicates super easy
I do not have much use for converting my e-books, because my reader eats the vast majority of formats, and for converting an occasional lit file (one of very few formats that my reader doesn't recognize) the Calibre is painfully slow - so I have set up alternative process on my Linux machine.

I a a power user and I use advanced features, such as the extremely powerful regular expression support.
I have also configured Calibre to my liking, using plugins and tweaks and GUI configuration. I have also added a few small features by hacking the source.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote