View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #115
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I can see why Word gets knocked.

MS Office used to have a 'binder' concept but it did more harm than good. Everyone I know who used it, myself included, ended up with corrupted files. They wisely stripped that feature out (I'd rather they fixed it) so if you have a different file for each chapter (or scene) there is no convenient way to keep them strung together.

Outlining in Word requires you to be 100% constant with use of Styles.

And don't get me started on numbered & indented lists in Word. They behaved wacky in every version prior to 2010.

The Ribbon interface finally quickly gets out of our way in Office 2010 (click once to minimize it)!

Hardly anyone knows about the biggest secret weapon in Office. OneNote is the most amazing piece of software in the package and it remains unsung. Its linking, embedding, and free-form layout capability is amazing. It also uses Scrivener's approach to 'saving as you type' (yet not in a bajillion separate files) and is well programmed for cloud-based sharing/collaborating. MS again did strange things with its distribution. In an earlier Office it came with the Home/Student edition and not the Business edition. Then they reversed that distribution! Can't wait to see the next evolution of OneNote.

I'd love to use InDesign but we've got a Quark XPress legacy I have to maintain at work (catalogs dating back 20+ years, with some files residing on an ancient Playskool colored Mac). Quark is clunky, non-intuitive, and riddled with work-arounds. Worse yet, any questions I have are better answered by the user community than by Quark.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote