View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 07:08 AM   #63
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsmith View Post
I'm not sure many people realize some of the complexities of software development. For example:
- Kobo has several devices, and each device requires both maintenance (support) and new features (development)...not just the Touch
- In order for the software to be manageable, I suspect Kobo tries to keep a single set of source code across all devices where possible. Having to add the same function to each device individually would be cost-prohibitive and would just get passed on to the consumer.
- Most software shops stick to a regular schedule for software releases. Time for requirements gathering (defects + new features); time to design the changes; time to develop the changes; time to test the changes internally; time to beta test the changes with the community. This all takes time. 3 months is very typical.

I've been working in software for 25 years, so I could go on...
I'm not sure some developers realize how frustrating it can be to use buggy software. It is easy to explain the problem away, provide workarounds, or try to ignore it, but at some point, you need to fix it.

I've been a user for 40 years, and working in software for 26.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote