Thread: Glo Glo Battery Problems
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #369
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Thinking about this in more detail, I offer the following:

Go to the Home screen and touch and release(tap) a book from the carousel while noting the tap doesn't register until you remove your finger... In other areas Hold it too long and it registers as a long tap or selection depending on where you are in the interface. Touch and hold wishlist and it highlights the selection but doesn't go there until you release, etc.

I think perhaps the drain is just the neonode hardware keeping the IR LEDs on continuously because a "touch" (interruption) occurred before shutdown and it's waiting for a release. Because it's in the middle of sensing an event it may ignore whatever command is being issued to power it down. A 1000 mah battery like we have would be depleted in about 72 hours if the IR LEDs and neonode are drawing only ~13.5 ma.

Like I said, wild ass guess based on what others have directly observed, but it might be close to explaining what is actually happening. I don't think it really is a case of a firmware bug drawing excessive current. I think it's just a matter of the IR hardware getting stuck waiting for a "touch event" to conclude. My guess is that under normal usage the IR LEDs are time multiplexed possibly at a lower power level or PWM ratio to create a lower powered grid of IR beams, but may be maintained continuously until whatever is breaking the IR beams is removed once a touch event is sensed which would explain depleting the battery in 72 hours or so.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote