View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #283
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Just saw the Samsung Ativ Tab in German "Saturn Market".
Windows 8 Pro, not RT.

Extremely disappointing.
I'm not a fan of Samsung design-wise, somehow most of their gadgets always look and feel very "plasticky" to me.
But that's not the main issue here.
I've only played with it for maybe 2 minutes.
But already in that short period, it seemed extremely laggy.
Even when flipping through the tiles, some stuttering was pretty obvious.
Surface RT is way smoother.
I hope, Surface Pro will be as "polished" as Surface RT and not similar to Ativ Tab.

My experience has been that right out of the box, yes it is a bit rough; and that is a software/driver issue. But once you run the included Software Updater (which is no mean feat in and of itself) everything smooths out.

The SW Updater updates something like nine or ten "important" issues and a bit fewer nice to have ones. Several of the drivers (video, sound, etc.) as well as the system bios get updated. From reading the in depth reviews, that is consistent with most of the reviewers’ experiences also.

All in all it's still a 32 bit dual core Atom chip, and you're not going to get Core i5 performance out of it, but then the tradeoff is double the battery life and about $400 US off the price.

Oh, and it doesn’t have Windows 8 Pro, it has Windows 8 standard (x86 version). The Pro upgrade adds a few things like Active Directory Support and Remote Desktop that corporate IT departments might want to have, but nothing that I need on my personal machine. If you really need Pro, it can be had from Microsoft Upgrade for about $66 US.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote