View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 02:47 PM   #13
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
The only reason I'm still reading this series is I've invested so much time (and money) in it, I want to see what happens. It has long been milked past dry. Starting each new book is rough because so much time has past since the previous one, I have trouble recalling what had been going on. While I still have and will keep all the earlier books, it's so massive a series, it's not likely I'll ever reread it. It started out great but too much of a good thing...
In the beginning, we had a really good book that became popular, it was a self contained story with a beginning, a middle and an end.

Then someone said, "why not a sequel?", sometimes it was good, sometimes not, but it too was a complete story. And anyone who liked the first would likely buy a second book. And once you got their money, it was only personal pride that made you care if they liked the second or not.

After that, we got the "Trilogy" because somebody figured out that:a) If people would buy two books, then they would likely buy a third. and b) writers could talk themselves into believing that what they had to say was BIGGER than a mere single volume.

Now we have, "The Franchise". An endless string of volumes containing the same characters who never actually DO anything after the third volume, but everyone buys, 'just because'. Apparently, like murdered rap stars, the lucky authors who start a 'franchise' don't actually have to be alive to produce new work.

I'm on the 4th book of the WOT, can someone tell me if ANYTHING happens in the 5th book?
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote