View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011, 02:27 PM   #5
Puddleglum
Puddleglum began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
With respect, you are the first person I have seen who preferred the Kobo screen to the Sony Screens. Sony and Amazon both are sourcing the latest generation e-ink screens for their readers. The general consensus is that they represent a noticeable improvement in contrast and in how black the text appears. This is not to say that the previous generation, which is used by most other non-LCD readers is not good, just, that the newer ones are better.

Now that being said, the Kobo's might now be using the latest generation screens (I don't know). If so, it is possible that with better firmware, or just a particularly good batch of the screens, that they could look better than the Sony.

--
Bill
Noticeable improvement in how black the text looks. Quite possibly, the text is more visually appealing on the 350 (I thought it was more font related) but the brighter (whiter?) screen on the Kobo offsets that IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
Strange that you should experience that. koland from this forum says here on her site in the second comment that the Kobo wireless's screen is about as good as a Kindle 2 or Nook.

The common wisdom on mobileread seems to rank screens in this order:
1. Pearl screens, i.e., K3, PRS-950/650/350, with 350 slightly above the others because of greater ppi.
2. K2-era Vizplex, like Nook, Kobo, etc.
3. Earlier era Vizplex

Somewhere in the above are the Ectaco LCDs.
Yeah, I've been lurking here trying to find out what the general consensus was for screens. I know the majority of people prefer the Pearl. Maybe I'm one of the few that doesn't. From the bit of research I've done the text's appearance has as much to do with font choice as it does contrast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
The Kindle 3 and Sony 350 have the same screen.

This is not the first time I have heard people say that they prefer the older screen to the Pearl Screen. Several Nook owners have said that they prefer the whiter background on the Nook to the grey background on the Kindle.

I don't know if the shading on the screens is something controlled by the specific companies or if it is simply the shade available for the type of screen.
This! This is the reason I asked. I know the new Sony and Kindle generation are using the same screen but do they have any control over the brightness/whitness/reflectivity of it? Does the screen on the 350 look exactly the same as on the 650 (just 1" larger)? Does it look the same as on the Kindle 3 (albeit with a different font)?

If it is indeed the case that all the Pearls look relatively the same then I might simply prefer the previous gen tech. The page really is (to my eyes) quite a bit brighter. It looks more "book-like" as opposed to looking at a screen which IMO has as much to do with readability as the text.
Puddleglum is offline   Reply With Quote