Thread: MobileRead 2015 Categories Discussion
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2014, 01:14 PM   #63
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
My definition of historical fiction is "stories that take place in the past and in our world." Generally I think of it as more than 100 years ago, but that is somewhat flexible. A novel in the 1980's doesn't seem "historical" to me since I lived it, but a WW2 novel might count. So that would include stories set in the American Civil War, Robin Hood, or King Arthur legends, etc. It would not include fantasy or science fiction things that weren't contemporary to the times, that is, "Abe Lincoln, Vampyre Hunter" wouldn't count, but the Greek epics w/ their gods would. I am sure others have their own definitions, and that is a good thing.
I was thinking along these lines as well. The time setting of the story is relevant, not when the book was published. I like post-WWII as the dividing line between historical and modern, but I know everyone will have different ideas on this. The "Classics" category is for books written some time ago. Although what defines a book as a classic is open to debate as well.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote