View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 10:48 PM   #209
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
I agree. Anyone using the service understands that Amazon is delivering the book and don't begrudge the "loss of privacy." If you don't want Amazon to know what books you're borrowing, then don't use it. Easy.
This. And having Amazon do the book delivery provides a couple of real advantages to users, most notably being able to share the book between devices...although I suppose being able to keep annotations would be useful for people who made annotations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
The libraries couldn't say no. It has been repeated over and over that Amazon has the biggest market share in the US, and most ereaders are kindles. If the libraries would have said that they are not going to lend to Amazon because they are going to see what you borrowed the consumers would have been pissed off at the libraries. On top of that siding with the publishers when they are the ones doing their best to limit library lending seems counterproductive.
I think both of these are basically right. Dramatically limiting the number of people who can use e-books - particularly in time where library budgets are at risk and e-books seem to be very popular - would just be a bad idea for a library whose ultimate funding comes from taxpayers.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote