View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Hmm... I thought we were done with hostile criticism of each other's posts. I guess not...

I misplaced my camera, or I would have have posted a photo just for you, with clearly labelled pins. In lieu of that, I took comments from my old buried post that already described the pins, and I created a new thread where it would be easy to find, and I added more text to be sure you would understand the pinout and the possible need for level shifting.

Then because I thought you might not actually read all of it, I added a one-line summary at the top. I even labelled the one-line sentence as "Short version".

And I went into great detail about getting 1.8v working with my super simple level shifter circuit. After I kept getting questions from my various posts, I started a new thread on that too.

I went to great lengths to try to avoid all misinterpretations and false assumptions that could be made from the short version, but ALSO explaining it at great length.

You want an extremely precise description in a single sentence? Because English is an imprecise language, would you prefer that in Latin, or should I add more words to the above description and then go back and replace all my periods with commas above?

I mean, really now, do I need to write a book, just to get bashed for not injecting full understanding of the details into your brain with a single sentence?

I was really trying hard to be helpful, but you actually hurt my feelings once again, and I find it hard to be helpful when I feel as inadequate as I do after reading your replies to my posts...

In every post about serial connections, I clearly stated that a REAL 1.8v adapter such as seaniko7 suggested is the preferred solution, but I keep getting replies that the ones from distributors cost too much (typically $25 USD plus shipping).

The one you have should work fine IF you remove its TxD LED (if it has one). If you use a 22K resistor like I did to connect the supply voltage to the level shifter circuit, it does not matter whether the supply voltage is 3.3v or 5v.

As shown in my other posts, 3.3v and 5.v TTL use exactly the same logic levels, and 1.8v TTL is different. Although many adapters need level shifting, some are more tolerant and work right out of the box.

How can I be more clear on this? Help me here.

Snail mail replies? Really? I cannot text you back because you disabled PMs. WTF? And exactly HOW can I give you a one line reply that you will understand, if you did not understand the one line reply SHORT VERSION, clearly labelled and in another color, right at the top?

I think no amount of words will help because it is obvious that you are not reading my replies carefully enough. Apparently, only a photo will do, with text labels added on top in post processing with arrows and stuff.

Then why didn't you just ASK for a photo? Somebody with a camera, give this guy a PHOTO, please! And if you do not want criticism, be extremely careful how you choose your words on those labels,

Or, you could just do it the way I did and examine the signal at the pins. While booting, the middle pin showed a stream of pulses on the middle pin that looked like data bits, when the scope ground was connected to the metal battery cover. The top pin that looked different from the others measure zero ohms between it and the battery cover, so it was GND.

What is with the "not wasting space" comment? Bits are cheap. My text takes a tiny amount of space on a hard drive, and is even compressible. Onscreen, pixels are cheap -- they are reusable. The READER can skim posts or choose to not read them at all. The only thing wasted is the WRITERS TIME, especially when the intended audience does not make an effort to read it carefully and use that information to guide his own research.

Even though I was rather antisocial nerd at your age, you really have me beat on the antisocial aspect. You need grow up in that department (a LOT)... And there is that whole "respect your elders" thing... A little politeness can go a long way.

P.S. After I calm down, I will probably go back and edit this to make it more friendly, but I needed to vent my feelings first. Why do yifanlu's replies to my comments bother me so much? I got ONE good one that I cherish though (when I announce my latelst new jailbreak exploit).
Woah. Read your last paragraph. You do need to calm down. I have never made a single "hostile" post and this is the third post you made towards me that contains name calling and disrespect. All I've ever done that could be considered hostile is correct misinformation and general wrongness, and in that respect I have no bias (I'm not out to get you, I "attack" everyone equally). If I think someone is wrong, I'll correct them. They are free to rebut me and we can have a civil debate and I respect that and the person. If I'm proven wrong, I apologize. You just resort to name calling and pull the "I'm more experienced" card. And you're going on about politeness?

@seaniko7, thanks. I'll look into that.

Last edited by yifanlu; 01-25-2012 at 02:01 PM.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote