View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 08:42 AM   #115
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Also, I do think that if you asked the average bloke in the street about a paperback book, they'd probably look at you funny if you asked them if they are aware they are buying a licence and not a book.
Absolutely, but that's my point.
Ask the same average guy if he's allowed to makes copies of the book and sell them, or make a movie based on the story, with out getting 'the rights' and I bet he'll know the answer is 'no.'

My point is, that people have no problem understanding that they 'buy' things with restricted terms regardless of the term 'buy.'

My sense is that many people in this day and age notice the 'e' in 'ebook' and think intuitively 'Oh this is something new...I'd better check the new terms of this new thing.'
Others just see the 'book' and assume 'oh, this must work exactly the same as what I'm used to.'

Those people are wrong, and are apparently oblivious to the realities of the information age.

But they are not being deceived or misled.

Still it is reasonable (and good business in the long run, I think) to clarify things for them. ("So you see, Tommy, since there is no actual 'book' here, the rules of a 'book' don't all automatically apply the same way.")

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote