View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 07:33 AM   #16
phil_ga
phil_ga has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.phil_ga has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.phil_ga has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Any time you change the metadata for a book, the database is updated and the OPF file is also updated. If it was only done when users requested it the object of having it in the first place would be largely defeated. It is meant to allow you to recover from an unpredictable event (database damage) so the OPF files need to be kept as up-to-date as possible.
I will look into this, but i remain unconvinced at this point that it actually changes the opf content rather than the file date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
In terms of the performance issue - do you have the "Search as you type" option set under Preferences->Interface->Searching. I could see that severely impacting perceived performance. I much prefer searching to only occur when I press Enter so I always have it switched off. I am not sure what the default is on a new installation.
No I do not have that feature set. ...BUT there is a switch in the same menu called "Limit the search metadata". I tried that. It makes a huge difference to response time when searching direct fromt he search bar with free text! Wow. Thanks for the tip!! Now I will look into the sluggish behaviour in other areas - to see if any of them are also sped up (later - bedtime now...). But this tip is a big help with responsiveness for vanilla searching. Thanks!!!
phil_ga is offline   Reply With Quote