View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 09:22 PM   #14
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

Device: kindle v1.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
As an independent, I naturally took notice of a service that allows me to get <Del>
However, the system is a bit buggy, mainly in relation to uploading and converting documents. <Del>
last night their server began giving me "Conversion failed, try again later" messages every time I tried to upload the edited file. It now no longer accepts Word or Mobi files either, so it's clearly their system having a problem, and not my files. I left a message in their forum this morning, but haven't seen a reply yet (and now that it's Thanksgiving, wouldn't be surprised if I don't hear back before Friday, but we'll see).

Amazon states in their forums that a published book could take 12 hours to a few days to actually show up on their system. So far, it's been 2 days for me just trying to get one book into the system! And then, we'll see how easy it is for Kindle owners to actually find them. Stay tuned.
welcome to the sinking boat! i jumped into this right away and managed to upload a short file. but the problems started when i needed to make some very minor changes ...

... now when i upload i get a message saying 'conversion successful ...' but when i try to preview i get a message saying my book is '... possibly invalid' and i can't preview it. and when i download what is there, it is not what i uploaded, so in my case it might be converting successfully, but it's sure not replacing what was up there to begin with. and now i can no longer see what is up there.

i've posted two threads on the forum and have received some replies, but not very specific ones. i've been trying for 3 days now to get this right and was seduced into the ease of the initial success to think it was going to be a piece of cake. also, out of firefox, ie and safari, safari is the only browser that will work. ie6 on win xp crashes spectaculary on every attempt.

i thought about adding a new item and trying the original again, but i can't find a way to delete items? can you publish the same item and delete the original?

also, when i use mobipocket creator, it creates .prc files for me. how do you get it to create a .mobi file? just rename the .prc perhaps?

good luck,

/guy

Last edited by gteague; 11-24-2007 at 09:24 PM.
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote