Thread: Under the Dome
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010, 07:21 AM   #15
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
***My first impression is that King is still recycling "personalities" from all his other novels***

Interesting that you should say that, Paegan. I remember reading many, many years ago interviews with Stephen King and Frank Herbert who were among the first to start using word processors instead of typewriters and primitive computers rather than filing cabinets with potted plants on top.

Both admitted that they had found, through the technology, that they could easily jot down characters and scenes over a period of months (perhaps now years) and file them under randomly chosen working titles. When they discovered that one file had plenty of characters, storylines and scenes in it, they would then pull up all their notes, dream up a plot and simply tie everything pre-written around it.

Personally, I don't think this is cheating: I think it makes sound sense for a productive author under pressure from major houses with fixed genre in mind and with too much time spent on (contracted) on-the-road promotional tours. On the other hand, I guess there is a danger of stock overload creeping into new titles, as you seem to have noticed.

Thanks for reminding me of that, Paegan. Very best. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote