View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hey, is that one of the crew quarters?

"Yes, it is... would you like to see?"

Absolutely! I've always wondered what the cabins were like... hey, this is nice! Friends, I'm inside what can be considered a stateroom, like a large hotel suite. There's a main room... well, area, really, with a sofa and a few chairs, a large viewscreen on the wall, and a desk with a ship's console... this allows you to access the ship's intelligence system and library, yes?

"That's right."

Nice. And over here, in an adjoining space, is the bed... mmm, memory foam. (wish I had a glass of wine...) Looks like plenty of built-in drawers, and a nice-sized closet. Then, there's a private bathroom. This looks fairly normal, overall, except for the shower: It looks more like a big pod, and inside of it, instead of shower nozzles, there are grills on each side, above and below. I'll bet this is a sonic shower, isn't it?

"We just call it a shower, but yes, it uses sonics instead of water."

Nice. You just use water for the commode, then?

"That's sonic, too."

Really?

"Of course. We can't afford to be as wasteful with water as people were before the 21st century! If we did, we'd've used up all the hydrogen in this arm of the galaxy by now! Sonic cleaning is much more efficient, sanitary, and even pleasurable. Depending on the setting."

That must be... interesting.

"Are you blushing? Ah, you Old Earthers and your provincial ideas..."

Yes, well, on that note, maybe we should move on!

"Sure. Why don't we check out the common area?"

Great! I hear you can get a great cup of coffee on this ship.

"Yes... almost always. As it turned out, coffee wasn't nearly as enjoyable while we were on Shura Dva. That planet did some... interesting things to food."

But it all reverted to normal again when you left?

"Yes, thank the Gods! I almost had a mutiny on my hands, thanks to... well, I don't want to give too much away."

Spoilers. Of course. Let me say, wandering around the Mary is a wonderful experience. The corridors are a nice size, plenty of room to walk side-by-side. Not quite as big as a Star Trek corridor, maybe...

"Star what?"

Star Trek, you know, the Enterprise...

"What kind of enterprise? Is that a business venture?"

Well... it is, the way Paramount runs it. Never mind... ah, and now, we're in the common area. It's like a big rec room with a big table, a few smaller game tables, some loungers, and a kitchen on one wall.

"Oh, don't let Angel hear you call this a kitchen! I think he's used to much more elaborate cooking spaces... like you'd find in your average four-star restaurant. We call it the galley. But, yes, we get together for meals here, talk about work, hang out, play fizzbin..."

Oh, I'm not going there.

"Of course you wouldn't. It's Tuesday."

And the sun's still up. Is there some coffee made?

"Here you go..."

Thanks. Hey... 3-D chess! Let's see... how do you move the pieces? Is it a joystick, or...?

"Um... you just pick one up and move it. See? It's not a hologram..."

Heh! Of course... silly of me... oh, is that the infirmary? In Berserker, you hid a small incubator here that was supposed to hold a sample of the Raian virus.

"Yes... it was just under there. Sitting on it's side, it looked like it was built-in. Of course, after the Raians found it and melted it down, it took a blowtorch to get it out."

Do you still have it? A memento of your first mission together?

"There are some things you don't want to be reminded of, Steve. That whole episode just serves to remind me of how stupid it was not to tell my crew about my carrying the dormant Berserker virus. That first mission almost became our last. No, I don't need any reminders of that lying around."

I understand. Can I see the cargo bay?

"No problem. This way..."
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote