View Single Post
Old 05-01-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croptop View Post
So I bought my wife a Kobo Reader for her birthday. Nice reader and the price was right.

We unboxed it this morning and I plugged it into her iBook to install the software that would be required to buy and install books from Kobo. Alas, the Kobo software will only run on Intel based Macs. So it looks like we can't buy any books (at least not from Kobo).

So then I install Adobe Digital Editions so that she can at least get books from our local library and read them. ADE installs just fine on her old iBook. We sign out a book from the library, download it and open it in ADE. So far, so good.

Then we plug in the Kobo Reader. But it doesn't appear in ADE so thus, we can't copy the library book from ADE to the reader (I tried dragging the epub file directly, but of course, the DRM prevents that from working. The book can't be opened on the Reader). So that's strike two.

Yes; yes, I know that I could strip the DRM. But my wife is not willing to jump through all of those hoops just to read a book. Nor should she have to.

We can't buy books; we can't borrow books from the library. It's getting harder to justify keeping this reader. I'm particularly irked that nowhere (at least that I can find) did Kobo state in their system requirements that their software was Intel-only. As much as I like it, we may very well have to return it and get her a Sony PRS-300 (which works quite well with all of my PowerPC-based Macs).
I have the same frustration with the software not working on the non-Intel Macs. Luckily my wife has a PC laptop and we both have Blackberries to access the kobo store. Not sure why your reader is not appearing in ADE though. Mine shows up just fine on my old iMac. I considered the Sony but I really wanted a 6" screen so I will stick with the Kobo and do the reformatting necessary to read my books.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote