View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
DMKarder
DMK
DMKarder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMKarder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMKarder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMKarder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMKarder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMKarder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMKarder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMKarder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMKarder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMKarder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMKarder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
POD vs Tradition

Came across this article, any thoughts? I am torn with the same points he makes. I know one 6 time published (traditional) writer who has less ebook sales than I do for the last month, then I have a personal relationship with another that is successful. However, the latter writes self help, and the previous writes fiction. Thoughts?

Author Update
Wednesday January 11, 2012

Print-On-Demand vs Traditional Publishing
Barry Crowther
Going Down the POD Route

I keep considering whether it’s a good idea to use POD or not? That’s Print On Demand. A lot of people consider this to be giving in and not staying with the traditional method, but I have to say I’m really struggling with the downside here.

Consider the pain it takes to get down the traditional publishing method and the results don’t appear to be that different. What? That can’t be right. Let’s look at my current scenario. I have a very publishable book. Not just me and the dog agree with this, it’s been professionally edited and I have several “pros” who have backed me into saying this is good enough for publication. Just need to get an agent or an intro to a small press. So far so good. The hard part (writing the thing) is over. Not so fast. I get a copy of the first three chapters and mail them to several agents as well as blast off five or six emails and wait for the response. It’s not quick. Mostly rejections and some requests for the rest. This took on average six weeks to get to this stage.

Okay, hit the pause button here.

Two friends discuss this with me. One is now selling POD, the other is published with a small press. The one selling POD is doing okay, not financially rewarding but he has sold a few hundred and is gaining traction. The published author is complaining that the small press keeps messing up and although there was some upfront cash, it was nothing that could be called a huge success.

One thing that was clear from the contrast in the discussion was support, or a better expression: marketing. The distribution and marketing that is being applied to debut authors or even long running smaller authors is abysmal. If you don’t happen to become a big draw then there ain’t no marketing dollars coming your way. Period.

In On Writing by Stephen King he talks about the process of vanity publishing and how it’s a bad thing. I agree. You don’t want a garage full of your novel after shoveling over heaps of cash to someone on the end of a phone line in another country. But I also think that Steve hasn’t got as much perspective with his name being so well recognized. Also when On Writing was written POD didn’t really exist. Maybe I’m just talking myself into this POD thing??

If there is no marketing to support new authors or any form of career development with an agent then I may as well control my own destiny. What do I need them for? They read your work give a professional (subjective) opinion then shuffle onto the next thing. If you don’t work out, no problem, there’s a slush pile mountain out in the hallway. To me literary agents have become A&R men. The talent spotters of the music industry. These people don’t appear to be qualified to do anything. I recently read a great expose of the music business – if an A&R man was lucky and he get’s one band, maybe two to sell a few thousand copies of some tripe then he would be hailed as a genius. It’s American Idol all over again but without an audience voting bands off. Almost a coin toss on who gets to stay in and who gets thrown out.

That’s one thing that is cool about POD. It’s a little edgy, a little counter culture. I like that. I’m not part of the Simon and Schuster empire or Random house. Don’t get me wrong if they came knocking I would take the distribution … so long as there was some marketing back up, otherwise what’s the point.

Why not knock a book out, get it on Amazon and tell a load of friends on Facebook. What’s the betting if it sells a few thousand Random house might come knocking anyway. Food for thought.

About the Author:
Barry Crowther has made his home in San Clemente Southern California. Originally from Manchester England. He has had short stories published, Missing is first novel on the eBook platform. He continues to work and write on the follow up novel in the San Clemente sun with his three daughters, wife and chocolate lab Coney.

Read more from Barry's blog here
DMKarder is offline   Reply With Quote