View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #78
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Please note that CommonReader has needs that are different from other people here, he does productive work unlike anyone with an iPad/tablet... productive work requires at least a notebook... this is fact as stated...

Edit as CR not clear on his own words - Quote: "Some colleagues use iPads for reading papers and documents and for receiving mails. However, the very moment productive work has to be done they are reaching for their laptops." Simple implication, productive work is done on laptops not iPads... your words... and I don't even have an iPad, just an extreme dislike of blanket statements condescending to those who disagree...
The moment CommonReader's colleagues need to do productive work, they reach for laptops. I don't see any blanket statement in there, unless it's "other people with similar jobs may need laptops for their productive work too."

I haven't bothered with a tablet because it would be a fancy toy for me; it can't do the productive or creative work I use a computer for. It can't even do the productive work my kids need for their homework assignments, which pretty much just need a word processor & very limited graphic editing abilities.

They're great consumption devices, including for a lot of business work. You can *read* what you need to on an iPad. You can send emails and do a lot of other communications. But nobody's said you can use one to create deliverable products, either for academic or professional purposes.

Log sales? Sure. Manage a sales database? No. Track your hours on a project? Sure. Manage your company payroll? No. List deliverables and prices? Sure. Create an invoice that attaches to your client records? No.

Make notes? Sure. Write a novel? No. (Except in the sense that, I suppose, someone could use Notepad or the equivalent to write a novel.) Read PDFs? Sure. Edit PDFs--change the image resolution, move text around, add & remove bookmarks, insert new scanned pages, run OCR, edit the metadata? No. View pictures? Sure. Sort a collection of pictures? Maybe. Burn a CD to hand to the client? No.

What deliverable-to-the-paying-client work gets done on iPads or other tablets?
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote