View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 07:32 PM   #8
kgn
Groupie
kgn has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 302
After a week or so of reading....

Not a bad reader. Perhaps not as good as my PB302, but still a good reader. Swiping to change pages does not really work (it is awful). If you swipe, it looks like THREE page updates are carried out. The page actually turns ok, but it takes ages due to the three updates, but the screen flickers very annoyingly all the while. Tapping is good. Be better if the physical buttons were laid out better, but better than nothing. The two Back and Forward buttons should be on the outside, and the Home and Menu buttons should be on the inside. Obviously - who ever designs these things plainly never reads a book.

The CPU is quite fast enough. Can do searches easily. MUCH better than the PB302. Very pleased with speed, in fact.

I love the folder structure. It makes life so easy, especially in Calibre. You can also not display by folder, but by author, genre, series, etc. So you get the best of both worlds. The only small issue here is that it treats the internal memory and the external SD card as separate. So if you have a folder on both, they display as two items. Another small quibble - the 'Marked as Read' is pretty hard to see. I guess that is a skin thing...

The battery life seems awful. A couple of days at best. Still cycling the battery, so it may improve. Much the same as the Kindle, from my experience. This is good enough for my purpose, but I am hoping I get at least a week out of it eventually.

There are a few annoying software glitches. For example, I like the 'small' margin size. But every time I open a new book, the margin size goes back to 'default'. There does not seem anyway to change the default margins. Will investigate this.

All my settings 'reset' the other day. Took me a while to realise it, but everything went back to default. Bit weird.

One thing - there is now really no support for the thing in the USA/Australia. There is a forum in German, but I don't speak it. Even getting a theme now is quite hard (not if you speak German, I guess). For some people this would be a big thing.

So - still the best reader I have investigated so far. Better than the Kobo Aura HD and certainly better than any of the Kindles (they are all I have had experience with).
kgn is offline   Reply With Quote