Thread: Seriousness Spelling contractions
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 12:13 PM   #35
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
It's because there's a shortage of apostrophes ....
well who took 'em!? get 'em back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Other than Henry James, F. Scott Fitzgerald, William Faulkner, Ernest Hemingway, Saul Bellow, Upton Sinclair, John Steinbeck, Pearl S. Buck, Willa Cather, John Dos Passos and the like, that would be a good guess. But in my limited sample I don't see a lot of mimetic transcription of speech.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captkjaneway View Post
I would agree with those that say that grammatically it is poor form to use contractions when writing formally ie: narrative, but acceptable when writing speech.

Personally I would not like to read an author who used contractions as part of their narrative, mind you I also hate slang talk and text speak and am noticing more and more the inability of younger people in London to form a sensible sentence.

I am a right old fuddie duddie!
I'm going to have to dig up some authors that I found pretty much unreadable due to the dialogue
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote