View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Do you want to cultivate in your young children a love of BOOKS or a love of ELECTRONICS? We, as adults, understand that ebooks are "real" books, but I think that board books and colorful picture books are crucial to indoctrinating a love of books and reading in young children. The lure of TV and other electronics is always going to be there; no indoctrination needed.

I could see these digital versions playing an adjunct role (let's hope they are in the Kindle Match program!!). For example, a kid who is already obsessed with the Cat in the Hat and has just asked his mom to read it to him for the 15th time that day (it happens). She might appreciate an electronic minder who can do the job for her. But only after she has read it many times herself; that's where he got the love of it in the first place!

In order to get the colors and the reading aloud, you would have to have these on a tablet. I suppose it's theoretically possible to introduce a tablet to your child... and ONLY use it for ebooks, never letting them see Angry Birds. But really, how long until you let them play ONE round of Angry Birds? Then which do you think your child is going to want to do?

Anyway, all this is just the age old "are ebooks good or bad for young children?" Ebooks for young children are already out there, each parent has to decide whether and how much. So, if you've already decided that ebooks are appropriate for your young child, why not go for the best: Dr Suess?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote