View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #24
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Where's the problem? It says you have to say 'SMASHWORDS EDITION' on the copyright page, right there in the style guide.
Which effectively makes Smashwords the publisher, does it not? Lightning Source doesn't require me to say "Lightning Source edition", and BookBaby doesn't require that I say "BookBaby edition", because these are true distribution services.

Of course Smashwords, being a free service, have to pay their way somehow, and hitching an advertising ride on each "edition" they publish is one of those ways. I'm not saying it's wrong, just saying that it changes what they are, despite their insistence to the contrary.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote