View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #23
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Apple can try its hardest to influence Foxconn and will
probably fail miserably.
I think you fail to realize just how powerful cooperate companies are.

Quote:
As I understand it, Foxconn produces parts that are part of the Kindle and the Nook as well as the IPad and IPhone. Why are we targeting Apple when there is a nice long list of companies that are allowing the same thing to happen?
Yes I agree 100%. Apple is being singled out unfairly there is a long list of manufactures who use Foxconn who should be under the same microscope. There is a good article in Phandroid that talks lists of companies that use Foxconn.
(article ... ).

My guess is Apple is the highest profile customer and also Foxconn's largest customer. So putting pressure for Apple to impose better work conditions on Foxconn will trickle over to the rest.

Quote:
Companies are driven to make as much profit as they can. They give lip service to caring about human rights and protecting workers and labor laws because it is good PR. The reality is that they want to make a product at the least cost to them so they can increase their profit. Apple is no different the Amazon or Microsoft or any other large electronics corporation.
I agree with this paragraph here, which is also why I disagreed with your previous point about the consumer being at fault. Even if consumer goods where doubled in price the working conditions would remain the same. It's only until companies are exposed and laws are put into place will their be better working and environmental conditions.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote