View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #9
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Epigraphs are generally meant to be part of the story or a mood-setting lead-in (if fiction), and some of them are quite important. I have a set of old Robotech novelizations where every single chapter is preceded by an epigraph of fake quotes from made-up books, interviews, and other materials done "in-universe", and they really add to the world-building.
Yeah, epigraphs have been used for hundreds of years and are very common. But I think they are usually considered to be part of the chapter and not something you reference in the TOC.

(I think most chapters in the Foundation Trilogy have an epigraph from the Encyclopedia Galactica).
Quote:

I'd just have the chapters in the TOC go as usual, but have the chapter nav link go to the appropriate epigraph which starts the section, and use a page-break if necessary to set the following narrative text off.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote