View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #12
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Although I voted for the "collection of middlebrow science essays," it would be equally fine if A Thousand Miles Up the Nile were chosen. I'm sure Harry has done an exceptional job proofing it. Although a travelogue may not sound like the most interesting of subjects, I recall first reading Cape Cod by Henry David Thoreau when I was (approximately) 12 years old. I thoroughly enjoyed Thoreau's many diversions as much as the log of his trek through Cape Cod. His discussion of the psychotropic properties of Jamestown (Jimson) Weed was a trip (in more ways than one).

Since these areas have been irrevocably (or nearly so) changed by the hand of man* and the passage of time, century-old travelogues evoke both nostalgia and melancholy.

* and woman!
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote