View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 08:13 AM   #13
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivian View Post
Hi,This is my first post. I had the exact same problem. It started today. I plugged the reader into a computer which didn't have the desktop application installed. I got a message saying I needed to format the drive. I pressed Cancel, and because it spooked me, immediately unplugged the reader, which then said "No books found." Even worse, when I tried plugging it into other computers I couldn't read anything on it: I got the message: "The file or directory is corrupt and unreadable."

I called customer service. They suggested doing a "reset to factory defaults" but that made no difference. So they said it would have to be referred to a higher level of tech support.

Unable to leave well enough alone, we ran CHKDSK on it with the /F switch. There is some improvement: we can now look at the files when we plug it into the computer, including my downloaded books. However, it still claims to have no books on it.

I am trying the "reset to factory defaults" again; maybe it will work better now that the FAT32 errors are corrected.
Although I agree with Zoran when he said that unplugging without a proper disconnect can cause some big problems, it sounds like you had not done anything wrong when you plugged it in and got the message about formatting the drive--unless you had "pulled the plug" in that way at an earlier time.

It doesn't have anything to do with whether or not the desktop was installed.

I have some questions:

Is it Kobo-1 or Kobo WiFi?
What firmware/software version were you running?
Do the books show up when try to view the drive in Calibre?
Did you have books that were sideloaded through ADE? Calibre? Only books downloaded through the sync function of the desktop?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote