View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #15
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
If you're into sci-fi fantasy visit Baen Books. Some great deals there especially if there monthly bundles have at least one book by a favourite author.

I'm told that of the standard dead tree book, hard or soft cover that at most about $5 goes to the author and publisher. The rest goes to the distributor, printer which includes, of course paper and trucking.
The monthly bundles have also gotten quite steep, esp. considering it is EXTREMELY rare for me to see more than one book in the monthly bundle that I'd like to read so it's effectively cheaper for me to pay the $6 for a single copy, and realistically at that price I'd have to see 3 books that I knew for sure that I wanted in the monthly bundle before realizing any sort of discount. i.e. I'm pretty sure that the ones that don't interest me might as well be in the bundle...

[EDIT]
Er... Baen IS the publisher...
[/EDIT]

Geez this reminds me of years ago when we used to bitch at fictionwise's prices which IIRC were about $3 or...

Also you know what kills me about the sh!t quality of that ebook is that I seem to recall YEARS ago an author mentioning that they submitted an electronic copy as that's what the actual manufacturer NEEDED to be able to PRODUCE the actual print pages. Seems to me that unless the publisher's are idiots(which they appear to be) that they should have a perfectly good electronic copy of most book from the last 20ish or so years available and coercible into epub(or other) format...

[EDIT2]
I'll believe the $5 for pbooks goes to the publisher but only a few $0.01 to the author dependent upon contract and royalty rate. Pretty expensive still as they like to moan and maunder about publicity yet I can count on less than one hand exactly how much publicizing that I've seen for ANY book that I've read. (And usually that happens when they get made into movies... so it's pretty much riding the movie industry's coattails...) Usually I find them kind of by accident and tend to read some series by some authors once I find some that I like but often it comes down to a quick look at the synopsis, and reading a few pages and grabbing a number of books but at $10/pb they've lost me entirely, crap it was even already expensive at $6-7/pb doing that. I'd easily spend $30 or so every time that I went to a bookstore although I do limit my max spending/visit to about that much.
[/EDIT2]

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 07-12-2011 at 11:10 AM.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote