View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 04:40 PM   #45
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Isn't it somewhat contradictory for you to be complaining about carrying multiple gadgets around and indeed choosing not to do so, while at the same time being so eagerly awaiting something that would weigh as much as the rest (minus the laptop) put together.
It would still take up less space than a laptop or netbook--and that matters more to me than weight. And the key is having a screen that lets me mark up PDFs and ebooks just like paper--without having the size and bulk of a tablet PC with keyboard etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
I also have an MP3 player that is over 5 years old and still works (and when I need a portable music player, that is what I use).
Mine are old as well. I haven't upgraded as I just don't use them much as I generally just listen to music on iTunes since I keep my whole collection on both my home laptop and my work desktop. My Creative Vision M seldom get's touched, my old, crappy 512 MB player I use in the gym is fine for that purpose--drowning out the crappy gym and people talking.

But for things I use more--pcs, PDAs, cell phones, dvd/blu ray players, TVs etc. I upgrade pretty often.

Quote:
All but one of those items are not something I've any interest in owning. Ever.
To each their own. Net surfing, e-mail and reading and marking up scholarly books/PDFs are my main desires for such a device as that stuff takes up a big amount of my daily life.

Other features like music, movies, games etc. would just be icing on the cake and only used on airplanes etc. in place of having to bring a portable DVD player or my MP3 player etc. since I'd already have the tablet with me for work and internet.

Eyestrain is a mild concern, but I VERY rarely read for more than 30-60 minutes at a time, so it's a bit of a moot point for me. And most of the longer sessions are work reading. Leisure reading is just a couple chapters before sleeping at night as I enjoy things like TV, sports, movies, music and video games more than reading when I have free time at home.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote